Do you have a knack for explaining legal concepts in a simple and clear way?
The National Legal Writing Competition is an opportunity to discover and recognize India’s most talented legal communicators. This is the chance to show off your ability, gain recognition among your legal peers, and help others better understand the Indian Legal system in an effective manner.
What we are looking for:
Articles should pertain to an element or concept of law from any Indian jurisdiction and should aim to explain it in language and a style that would be understandable by, and targeted towards, the majority of Indians. Part of the competition is for you to find a topic that is interesting and informative, and will be useful for a member of the general public should they find themselves facing a legal matter in your chosen area. As a result, there are no restrictions on the area of law about which you can write, except that it should be about something that is likely to still be relevant in 12 months time or longer.
Articles should be between 800 and 1500 words in length. External resources and references mentioned in your article should include URLs or hyperlinks to the 3rd party website or source. Grammar, spelling and punctuation will reflect on the quality of your entry and should be of an exemplary standard and befitting a legal professional. Sub-headings are encouraged where they can add clarity to your article structure.
What we are not looking for:
Opinion piece on a recent event that would only have short term relevance. Dense, obfuscated legal prose is discouraged.
Awards & Prizes:
First Prize: INR 2500 cash + INR 2500 Gift Voucher
Second prize: INR 2000 cash + INR 2000 Gift Voucher
Third prize: INR 1500 cash + INR 1500 Gift Voucher
Gift vouchers worth Rs. 1000 to all the participants whose articles will be published.
All winners and finalists will receive a certificate of recognition highlighting their result in the RostrumLegal Writing Competition, 2018. The articles of the selected finalists will be published online on The Law Ambassador.
All the participants whose articles are published will receive an e-certificate of participation.
Submissions for the RostrumLegal Writing Competition are now open and will be accepted up until 11:59 pm (midnight) (IST) on 15th, September 2018.
The National Legal Writing Competition is open only to law students pursuing three year and five year law courses at law schools in India. You will be required to submit a soft copy of your institutional identity card or letter in order to participate in the competition.
How to enter?
Your entry must be original, in English, unpublished, and not submitted to, or accepted by, any other publisher or producer. Anything posted online, including in a personal blog, is considered published.
All submissions will be checked for plagiarism, and if found in breach, the submission will be disqualified. You will also be prohibited from entering any future Competition.
In submitting an article for the Competition you relinquish all rights to the content to RostrumLegal, and you acknowledge that your article may be published online, in whole or part, with or without amendment, with appropriate credit given to you.
Only electronic submissions will be considered. Click here to submit your article.
There is no entry fee.
Additional Terms & Conditions:
- The promoter of this competition is RostrumLegal.
By entering, all entrants agree to abide by each and every term and condition. RostrumLegal reserves the right to withhold prizes for violation of any of the terms and conditions.Entrants represent and warrant that their entry is the original work of the party named in the entry submission and that they have the full power and authority to enter the work in their own name.
- The entrant agrees to indemnify RostrumLegal for any infringements of, for example, statutory or common-law copyright, or 3rd party proprietary rights, or any other loss resulting from a breach of these warranties.
- Entries which contain, in the sole opinion of RostrumLegal, any material which is defamatory, obscene, illegal or inappropriate will be invalidated. Any misrepresentation or fraud will also invalidate the entry.
- RostrumLegal reserves the right to withhold prizes for any invalidated entries. RostrumLegal accepts no responsibility for lost or delayed entries, data charges, or any other costs associated with entry, nor will it be responsible for technical, hardware, or software failures of any kind or lost or unavailable network connections that may limit or prevent the person from participating in the Competition.
- Entrants agree to allow the free use of their name, likeness, and general location for publicity and news purposes during this and future promotions.
- Winners may be required to submit valid identification and proof of qualification or status as student before receiving their prize.
- Personal information collected will be used for RostrumLegal purposes only and managed in accordance with the Data Protection Law of India.